Friday, September 3, 2010

Best-est Guests

Dear Chloe,

I feel like my last post was too sharp and negative.  You know that I'm a glass topped-up-to-full kind of gal, so I thought this time that I'd write to you about a really great guest that we've had.

Our mutual friend S stayed with us a few years back.  She was a dream guest.  Smart enough to print off the directions that I emailed to her, smart enough to have my cell phone in case she needed it (she didn't) and smart enough to not overpack (we were living in a fifth floor walk up, no elevator).

S shows up for a quickie visit to NYC, and is fully into the spirit of fun and adventure from the moment she walks into the door.   She knows exactly what she wants to do/see in NYC, and all she needs from me is some fine-tuning on the directions to the subway.   A quick martini, a few Triscuits with white cheddar, a kiss to my husband, and she's off.

S was in search of a white winter coat and some Superman pj's for her boys.  Since she doesn't lack for drama, and is as thin as a bendy straw, I knew she'd find the perfect coat at my go-to, Century 21.  They also have a decent selection of kids stuff, and an impressive shoe department.    I had nothing urgent to tend to, so I went downtown with her.   What is it with Canadian gals? We're both Her Majesty's subjects, so I guess I can count us in this as well, but man is S fun.   Within seconds of getting on the subway she had befriended the meanest looking dude on the train, and was cracking him with her pronounciation of 'out and about'.

Ok, so back to her being a good guest.   Here's the hit list:
  • She communicated her arrival time so that we weren't kept waiting.
  • She made herself right at home.
  • She had her own plans and was happy whenever we wanted to hang out with her.
  • She stayed for four days, and hung out with us for dinner one night - she also totally helped prepare the meal and bought a gorgeous wine.
  • She took down the garbage and recycling without even batting an eye, or asking if she should.
  • Two days after she left, we received a package from her.  She'd obviously placed the order either before she left, or immediately upon returning home.   The package?  The BEST ribs ever.  Sorry Chloe, I know that you don't deal with anything that has eyes - but damn they were good!
Ok, so I neither want nor expect any kind of gift.  It's a cold and lonely world out there, and my pleasure comes from sharing our home.  Having said that, it was pretty damn sweet, and totally appreciated. 

What about you dollface, have you had a really great guest?  Tell all.

No comments:

Post a Comment